Dear Friend of The Jerusalem Fund,
Today marks the 28th annual World Diabetes Day. On this important awareness day, The Jerusalem Fund would like to spread the word about the diabetes epidemic plaguing Palestine and the ways that you can help.
Diabetes affects Palestinians in disproportionate numbers. According to the Union of Palestinian Medical Relief Committee, at least 18 percent of the population has diabetes mellitus. However, this figure is closer to 30 percent when taking into account the people with pre-diabetes as well as those who are unaware that they are diabetics.
The disease can be managed with careful medical treatment and persistent follow-up. However, most Palestinians suffering from diabetes do not have the necessary access to affordable treatment and can suffer serious complications such as blindness, kidney failure, and circulation problems that lead to amputations.
The problem is compounded by the unemployment, poverty, and daily stresses brought on by the entrenched Israeli occupation that controls all aspects of life.
The Palestine Diabetes Institute (PDI) centers in Al-Bireh, Nablus, and Hebron, founded in 2009, address the growing diabetes epidemic in Palestine through treatment, awareness, and education. It is the first such facility in Palestine.
How can YOU help?
- Consider donating to the Palestine Diabetes Institute to support the costly equipment and lab needs for preventative care and treatment:
- $120 – Will provide 100 blood glucose test strips which are used to measure glucose levels in a diabetic patient’s blood. These test strips provide doctors and patients with information needed to adjust medication to control diabetes symptoms, so they play a very important role in helping people to monitor and regulate their diabetes. Without them, life for people with diabetes would be even more difficult.
- $500 – Will provide a day’s worth of reagents and facilitate preventative care for patients of PDI. Reagents are substances needed for our immunoassay analyzer machine, which detects symptoms of diabetes and helps diagnose the disease.
- Spread the word about the Palestine Diabetes Institute:
- Like us on Facebook
- Spread the donation link to your family and friends and use the hashtag #PalestineDiabetesInstitute
All donations to The Jerusalem Fund are fully tax-deductible to the extent of the law, and 100% of your donation will go towards the Palestine Diabetes Institute. Every dollar makes a difference in helping Palestinians to fight this disease, and we hope that you will assist us in this critical mission. Thank you in advance for your generosity and support.
With sincere gratitude,
|Subhi D. Ali, MD||Eid B. Mustafa, MD|
|Chairman, Board of Directors||Treasurer, Board of Directors|